After reading this post other than laughing out loud as you learn about the roller coaster ride of perimenopause you will get a toolkit of how to tame Miss Peri-menopause
Well, well, well, what do we have here? The infamous Miss Peri erm Perimenpause. You know her, the troublemaker of our forties, the unavoidable consequence of womanhood, the unwanted guest that crashes our party of stability. Some call her a hot mess, others a blessing in disguise. Me? I’m here to give you a ringside seat to this womanly wrestling match. And the gloves are off!
Perimenopause – There I Said It
Perimenopause. Now, there’s a word that makes many women cringe faster than a corny dad joke. Picture this, one moment you’re cool as a cucumber, the next you’re sweating like a pig in a sauna. Did someone crank up the heat or is it just you? It’s not global warming, honey, it’s Miss Peri.
You’re merrily strolling through life when BAM! You’re hit with a hot flash, making you feel like an active volcano that could erupt at any moment. Then, like a toddler who missed her nap, the mood swings creep in. One minute you’re laughing, next you’re crying, and then for some inexplicable reason, you’re raging mad at the universe.
And, let’s not forget about the sudden weight gain that has you questioning if your clothes have shrunk or if you’ve somehow morphed into the Michelin Man overnight. Who needs an invisibility cloak when you’ve got an unexplainable 10-pound weight gain, right?
But wait, don’t go reaching for the emergency ice cream tub just yet. Here’s the punch line – Perimenopause is not just a hot mess. It’s not merely an episode of “The Real Housewives of Hormone City.” It’s not a curse sent by the vengeful goddess of estrogen. No, it’s a phase of transition, a renaissance of your body, an opportunity for a rebirth. Seriously.
With every sweaty night and weepy sitcom episode, you’re on your way to becoming a stronger, more self-assured woman than ever before. How’s that for a plot twist, eh?
Now that we’ve had our laugh (because, what’s life without a giggle or two?), let’s focus on the tactics to tame this diva.
Your Perimenopause Toolkit
- Deep Breathing: No, I don’t mean the kind of deep breaths you take before telling your kids to clean their rooms for the tenth time. I’m talking about mindful, meditative breathing. The kind that makes you feel like a zen master amidst chaos. Count in for five then out for 7, do this ten times at various points in the day when you need calm and steady.
- Healthy Lifestyle: Say goodbye to that third cup of coffee and the nightly wine ritual. Say hello to leafy greens, lean proteins, and lots of water. I know, I know, kale can never replace cabernet, but your body and your brain will thank you!
- Pump Up the Protein: Protein isn’t just for those muscle-bound gym bunnies. It’s a star player in your game too. So, get friendly with fish, cozy up with eggs, befriend beans, or shake hands with a protein shake. After all, a little extra protein might just be the wingwoman you need on this journey. And if you are vegan then beans, nuts and a high quality protein shake works well too.
- Lift Heavy Sh*t: Now, before you give me that side-eye, hear me out. I’m not suggesting you start deadlifting sofas. But a bit of weight training can do wonders for your strength and bone density. So, whether it’s dumbbells, kettlebells, or that heavy laundry basket, start picking up and putting down. Feel the burn, baby! Feel the burn. Do this for 20 minutes at least three times a week.
- All Hail, Adaptogens! Meet the superheroes of the plant world. These clever little botanicals can help balance your body’s response to stress. Think Ashwagandha for a little chill, Rhodiola for a sprinkle of energy, or Shatavari for some hormonal clarity. No, they won’t make you fly or read minds, but they might just make Miss Peri’s visit a tad smoother, especially if you need to tame that temper of yours!
- Marvelous Mushrooms: Reishi (de-stress), Cordyceps (energy + hormones) , Lion’s Mane (focus) Chaga (energy and the perfect coffee replacement), Turkey Tail (gut health and immunity) and Tremella (beauty, skin and hydration). No, these aren’t characters from a fantasy novel, but fantastic fungi that can boost your health. They’re packed with antioxidants and can support your immune system, So, let’s say ‘Hi’ to these humble shrooms!
- Healthy Lifestyle: I know, we mentioned it before. But it’s worth repeating. Wave goodbye to excessive caffeine and alcohol. Instead, embrace a balanced diet with lots of veggies and water. Trust me, your body will be your biggest fan.
- Exercise: Besides lifting the heavy stuff, make sure you move, dance, walk, or strike a yoga pose. Any movement is your friend during these turbulent times and if you do something directly after eating it will burn the glucose and help with those blood sugar levels too.
- Seek Support: Sharing is caring, so reach out to your sisters-in-arms, join a support group, or hang out with us at Voyage & Soap and come join our monthly mindset. You can also find a professional to talk to. The main thing to remember is you are NOT alone. Hundreds of millions of women globally are going through perimenopause right now. We’re navigating this together, remember?
So, there you have it. The definitive guide to wrestling with Miss Peri. It’s not a walk in the park, but with some deep breaths, heavy lifting, protein power, and a little help from our friends in the plant and fungi kingdoms, we can make this journey a memorable one. So, chin up, strap in, and let’s show the pesky Miss Peri the door.
One Billion Women Experiencing Perimenopause & Menopause by 2025 – You Are Not Alone
If the experience of perimenopause is universal, then it’s crazy to think that almost everyone I’ve spoken to for this post said something like, “I had no idea it was going to be like this”. It’s just like when I was going through the same thing at the start of my perimenopause journey. Even my own mom didn’t prepare me for it. She had no idea how to or when to and like there’s this invisible taboo.
Check this out, perimenopause and menopause has touched about a BILLION women globally. The number of women 45 and older in the UK is skyrocketing. Right now, there are roughly 13 million women in the UK going through perimenopause or menopause. That’s like a third of all women there! Crazy, right?
Also It’s nuts when you look deeper into the stats: Women between 40 and 59 in the US have the highest rate of depression compared to any other age and gender group. Plus, women have a 1 in 5 shot at getting cognitive diseases like Alzheimer’s, while for men it’s just 1 in 11. Despite all this, there’s been very little innovation in the field of women’s health for this stage of life. Sure, the femtech industry has made some real progress for stuff like menstrual health, fertility, and pregnancy. But when it comes to the needs of nearly 1 billion women worldwide entering menopause? It’s like they’ve been totally forgotten.
So remember this is not a hot mess you need to hide. This is a shared, collective experience of womanhood. One that deserves conversation, humor, and lots of understanding.
Perimenopause is not just about the ‘peri’, it’s about the ‘menopause’ too. It’s the transition from one phase of womanhood to the next, a rite of passage, a testament to our strength, resilience, and unyielding spirit.
It’s time we stop thinking of Miss Peri as a hot mess and more of a blessing in disguise. After all, who else can pull off spontaneous sweating, crying at commercials, and laughing uncontrollably, all while maintaining an air of grace and badassery?
Only us, ladies. Only us.
My Nugget Of Wisdom
Sonja Lyubomirsky, a brilliant self-help guru, once shared that the key to happiness lies not in avoiding difficulties, but in our personal interpretation of them. I’ve thought about this quite a bit as I navigate my own perimenopause journey. It’s a roller coaster, no doubt, with hot flashes popping up like surprise party guests and mood swings that’d give a pendulum a run for its money. But guess what? It’s also a time of incredible transformation.
I strongly urge you to reframe perimenopause. It’s not a hot mess, but a hot opportunity. Yes, it’s a flash of brilliance, introducing you to a whole new phase of life. Buckle up, laugh at the chaos, and find empowerment in the unexpected. Let’s be like Miss Peri, flipping the script and embracing the ride.
Are You Looking For A Way Out Of Your Bad Habits?
And For You To Actually Start Doing The Things That Make You Feel Better?
Use my free ‘Clarity – 7 Levels Deep’ Coaching Tool. Understand ‘Your Why‘ in 30 minutes and become unstuck. You can do it either independently or with a coach or friend.